Pages

Monday, May 12, 2014

A Motherly Example

"Now there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalene.
When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son!
Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home."
John 19:25-27

Yesterday I got to Skype my parents! I was so excited and it was nice to see their faces and hear their voices. It was a wonderful way to celebrate my Mother's Day. And I have to admit, it was pretty hard to end the Skype call and know that it will be another 6 months before I get to talk to them again. However, it was time to get back to work.
As I went back to work, this scripture came into my mind. I thought of how hard it must have been for Christ, in His most agonizing moments, to send His mom away and finish His Atoning sacrifice alone. I also thought of the difficulty Mary must have had in seeing her son suffering and dying on the cross--wanting to be there and support Him, but not wanting to see the pain on His face as he hung there. I'm sure she also realized that this was one thing He had to do alone.
I am so grateful for the example both have set. And I am grateful for the example my own mom has set. Just like Mary, I know my mom wants to be out here with me to help me when times get rough, but she also knows that I am in God's hands just as Christ was, and that this is a journey I must make on my own. And because of Christ's example, I know that there are times that I'm going to feel alone and that it's going to be hard. As He probably did, I want my mother to be with me. But I know that the sacrifices I'm making are for a greater good. The decision I made to sacrifice my time will affect myself and others eternally. Again I am in awe of the examples my loving Heavenly Father has set for me to follow.
Who is someone you look to as an example?


No comments:

Post a Comment